You have a beautiful frame of a chair or couch that really needs some cushion, and you want to use chemical-free, eco-friendly supplies, but where do you start? Here is a list of substitutions from the standard petroleum based products.
Dacron Batting –> Wool Batting
Foundation Material –> Cotton Batting
Decking Fabric (to cover the springs) –> Organic Sateen Fabric
Poly Foam –> Organic Latex
Ticking Fabric (to cover the wool so that it doesn’t migrate through the decorative fabric) –> Organic Twill Fabric
Thin Foam –> Wool Felt
That’s it. It is really that simple. For a DIY project, purchase your custom cut latex here and contact us to sew you an inner case of our organic fabrics and an outer case of your decorative fabric.
Similarities between Natural Latex and conventional foam
- Five firmnesses available, use softer for the back cushions and firmer for the base
- Firmer means denser which means more durable
- Batting or a down jacket still can be wrapped around to add plumpness to cushion
- If using on top of springs, use a ticking fabric between the springs and the latex so as to not tear it
Unique Tricks to Natural Latex
- Cut only with a blade, not a hot wire
- Over time (15 years+), instead of softening, latex will harden as it dries out and eventually crumbles
What Sets Organic Latex apart from conventional poly foam
- No flame retardants
- Chemical-Free: The end product has only 5 ingredients with latex comprising of 96% of the finished product.
- Long Life: 20 -30 year lifespan
- Vegan: Tree Based not petroleum Based
- Compostable: Just give it time
- Sustainable: The Hevea brasiliensis trees are grown for 30 years before they stop producing enough latex and are harvested for their wood.
- Antimicrobial: In a closed testing environment, growing bacteria introduced to the latex were not able to survive.
- Dust Mite Resistant: It is simply inhabitable.
- Excellent Airflow: Compared to memory foam and all poly foams, latex allows more air movement and thus does not retain heat.
Own an Upholstery Business? Contact us for wholesale rates.
We are happy to give you a 60 day trial period to determine if the latex firmnesses are right for you. We understand that the only way to accurately decide if the latex firmnesses you picked out for your mattress are comfortable is if you sleep on them.
Mattress sized natural latex slabs in original condition are accepted for exchange without a charge within the first 60 days after delivery. We can exchange latex between firmnesses: for example, upgrade a firm piece to extra firm or hard or downgrade to medium or soft. Custom cut sizes may not be exchanged.
To emphasize: We will only accept piece that are in original condition, that means, no wool on them and certainly nothing else. Please tape off or use a lint roller on your piece before shipping it back.
- Pick a box to use; if you can reuse the original box, do so.
- Latex is ridiculously good at collecting dust and any particles it touches. When removing it from its ticking, make sure you place it on a fresh sheet or a freshly swept/mopped floor.
- Roll your slab up and secure the roll with something that will not cut the latex like saran wrap. If you have a full, queen or king piece, fold it in half before you roll.
- Slip the roll into a giant plastic bag, such as a leaf bag
- Stick the hose attachment of your vacuum cleaner in to the bag and just barely into the middle of your roll.
- Grabbing the bag around the hose securing with one hand, suck the air out. Your latex should shrink to about half the size.
- When latex no long shrinks, remove the hose with your free hand while the machine is running. Be gentle, as tearing the latex would keep the piece from being accepted back.
- Immediately twist the bag end to prevent air from entering and fold twisted part of the bag in half.
- Tape the folded twisted bag together. The twist and the crimp will keep the air from escaping. Tape the crimp a second time, tightening it as tight as it will go.
- Take out that saran wrap again and wrap your piece vertically and horizontally, covering all holes. Alternatively you could tape both ends of your bag up inside plastic sheeting, but you’ll find the plastic wrap method much easier. Your goal is to confine the latex to its current size. The strength of the plastic wrap or the sheeting and tape will keep it from expanding during shipment. Wrap or tape around the top, middle and bottom as well as the ends.
- Now it is simple. Slip the latex in the box. Tape it up and label it. If you have 3+ layers of thick sheeting around the latex, you could forgo the box.
- You are responsible for paying the shipping back to us; it will cost between $30-$70 to ship a piece via USPS; we share our commercial rates with you below. Do package the slabs well though because the latex can tear easily if not protected from the rough handling it will receive in shipping. We will not be able to give you an exchange if the piece arrives damaged.
Make the Swap
Please click here on the Natural Latex Buy and Try Shipping to initiate the Buy and Try Swap.
This charge covers both the shipping of the new piece of latex as well as the return shipping and UPS pickup of the unwanted piece.
Where it goes
The worthy pieces of latex you send back to us appear in the Clearance section as they are still good pieces of foam. They are labeled as being part of the Buy and Try program.